There are increasing numbers of shops selling real nappies, environmentally-friendly and organic baby clothes and other products for mother and baby. Here is a selection of companies with a good range of products. Some have their own retail shops as well as selling on the internet, while others distribute to local retailers. For real nappy suppliers, laundry services, agents, networks and incentive schemes contact The Real Nappy Information Service.
For information about the issues regarding disposable versus reusable cloth nappies, baby food, toys and all the other things mothers-to-be and new mothers are told babies need, see the Green Choices baby section and its subsections
- Beaming Baby specialises in eco-products and textiles for mother and baby, with a selection of organic baby clothes, nappies, eco-disposable nappies, natural wipes, organic bedding and towels, and toys, including some described as ‘forest-friendly’. They only source from environmentally friendly suppliers who use sustainable resources.
- Cotton Comfort specialise in chemical-free pure cotton clothing for children and adults with sensitive skin. Their range includes washable nappies.
- Cut4Cloth supply 100% organic baby clothes, ethically manufactured and traded, using environmentally responsible dyes – and specially tailored to fit over bulky cloth nappies.
- Easy Peasy Nappies manufacture and retail a range of washable nappies and also sell toys.
- Ethical Babe stock only ethical products for mums & children 0 – 5 years old, including organic cotton baby clothes, eco-friendly, natural wooden toys, natural and organic toiletries, eco-friendly and biodegradable nappies, cloth nappies, organic gifts and much more.
- Green Mums provide parents with impartial advice on using washable nappies and sell what they consider to be the best available
- Green Nippers are an ethical, eco-conscious, organic baby and children’s clothing label selling only Soil Association certified clothes and accessories.
- Little Green Earthlets supply natural, environmental and organic baby products, and together with an American company called Green Babies provide a range of 100% certified organic separates and baby essentials. All the dyes are non-toxic and low-impact on the environment. Body care products are made with natural ingredients with no artificial colouring; petroleum based ingredients, detergents or fragrance. They also sell toys, furniture, books and more.
- Little Green Radicals have been producing organic and fairtrade fashion for babies and young children since 2002.
- Mumi sell a range of reusable nappies and accessories.
- Natural Nursery sells cloth nappies, clothing, bedding, toiletries, wooden toys and more. Their website provides information on the whys and how-tos of cloth nappies, on the benefits of organic and fair-trade, plus full details about their suppliers and links to information sources on parenting and green living.
- Schmidt Natural Clothing have an extensive range of clothing for babies, children and adults made without chemical treatments from organically grown fibres whenever possible. They explain that their clothing is grown and manufactured with care and the environment in mind and that their suppliers actively encourage Organic and Biodynamic farms, and Fair Trade guidelines are strictly adhered to. They say their ranges support new sustainable enterprises in developing countries, or empower small local producers, and that they do not import from countries where production methods cannot be controlled, or where child labour is employed. They offer a part-payment programme for families wishing to stock up on cotton nappies.
- Spirit of Nature offer an extensive range of natural and environmentally friendly products including organic clothing and baby clothes, nappies, natural skin care, toys and eco-household products. Their products are produced with as many natural materials as possible and without the use of harsh chemicals whereever possible.
- The Kids Window is an online department store selling only products for babies and children, including baby goods, clothes, furniture, nappies and toys.
- The Little Green Sheep believes that a baby’s bedtime is an important sells a range of organic baby bedding and mattresses, free from pesticides, herbicides or fire proofing chemicals and certified organic.
- The Organic Toy Company specialise exclusively in toys which have a strict criteria of having certified 100% organic cotton, a range of other toys and also certified organic skin care products.